I’ve recently made an exciting brow discovery that I couldn’t wait to tell you all about! Just like mascara, I’m a bit addicted to trying new brow gels all the time; looking for just the right one that nails both volume and hold. Oh, if you’re looking for a good clear brow gel recommendation that has serious, serious hold – I’m still gaga over the NYX Control Freak, which I wrote all about in this post last year. But if you’re looking for color, volume and hold, you may want to check out the product that almost no one is talking about: ELF Wow Brow. It’s a mere $4.00, people, and it’s amazing!!
Now I first heard about this little gem through one of my favorite beauty YouTubers, Mariah Leonard, who has absolutely amazing brows. So when I saw it on the Target shelves, I snatched it up quicker than you can say “gimme!” As I started using it in my routine I couldn’t help but draw similarities to a now-iconic brow gel, the Glossier Boy Brow. People go crazy over this one because it gives the appearance of a very natural brow, while still grooming the hairs in place.
The ELF and the Glossier seemed very close in feel and application, but is the ELF Wow Brow a dupe for Glossier Boy Brow?? Read on!
WHAT IS THE ELF WOW BROW?
Get full, voluminous-looking brows with this buildable, fiber-infused brow gel. This wax-gel hybrid formula adheres to brow hairs and brushes them into place while depositing hair-like fibers for fuller-looking brows that WOW!
Available in 5 shades. Cruelty-free & Vegan formula.
WHAT IS THE GLOSSIER BOY BROW?
A brushable, creamy wax that visibly thickens, shapes, and grooms brows into place.
Why it’s special:
- Inspired by traditional hair pomade, it gives brows soft, flexible hold in one easy swipe, and doesn’t stiffen or flake
- Contains Oleic Acid, Lecithin, and Atelocollagen to condition and moisturize brows
- Comes in three subtly tinted shades: Blond, Brown, and Black, plus Clear, which doesn’t leave a trace
Good to know: alcohol free, fragrance free, paraben free, cruelty free, appropriate for all skin types, hypoallergenic, ophthalmologist tested, dermatologist tested
- Both formulas are quite soft and flexible; you won’t experience any stiffness or flaking with either the ELF or the Glossier.
- Both formulas are volumizing and groom the brow hairs quite well.
- Both brushes contain too much product when first extracted from their respective tubes, and need to be cleaned off before application.
- Both have small, dinky packaging that is easy to travel with or throw in your purse.
- The brush on the ELF Wow Brow is much longer and wider than the Glossier Boy Brow.
- The formula on the ELF contains more fibers, holds the brow hairs in place better throughout the day, and adds a bit more volume than the Glossier.
- The product consistency on the ELF is more moussey – I disagree with the “wax-gel” description that the brand claims – while the Glossier is quite waxy.
- The ELF Wow Brow is $4.00 for 3.5 g. of product, while the Glossier Boy Brow is $16.00 for 3.12 g. of product.
SO IS THE ELF WOW BROW A DUPE FOR GLOSSIER BOY BROW?
While both formulas are very soft and flexible in finish, I’d say the ELF Wow Brow definitely is not a 100% dupe for the Glossier Boy Brow – I think it’s actually better! As I mentioned above, I’ve found it to be more volumizing and it offers more hold than the Boy Brow. It also contains more product for a quarter of the price! I definitely got the wrong color for myself – Taupe is way too ashy for me and would probably suit a blonde or a very light-haired brunette better. Other than that, I really have no complaints on the Wow Brow and would absolutely repurchase it again.
Have you tried the ELF Wow Brow or the Glossier Boy Brow yet? What is your favorite brow gel? I’d love to know!