In case you skimmed over the title – today we’re talking drugstore vs. luxury lip gloss. A classic high-low comparison post; who doesn’t love one of those?? Specifically, I’m pitting the Hourglass Unreal High Shine Volumizing Lip Gloss, which retails for $30.00, against the Revlon Kiss Plumping Lip Creme, which retails for $9.99 at its most pricey. Both claim to smooth and plump your lips using an ingredient called Volulip, so I thought it was a fair comparison to try and make.
Just a quick note – the Hourglass lip gloss you’ll see pictured here is a mini I got as a gift with purchase from a trip to Blue Mercury. The regular packaging is bigger (obvs), looks different in style, and the applicator appears to be different as well. You can compare the photos in this post to what is listed on their main website (linked both above and below).
So are these lip glosses identical, similar or totally different in texture and feel regardless of their price differences? Read on to find out!
Read this: A Glossier Cloud Paint dupe? Flower Beauty Blush Bomb
HOURGLASS UNREAL HIGH SHINE VOLUMIZING LIP GLOSS
The ultimate lip gloss that breaks all the rules. An innovative formula infused with powerful active ingredients for instant hydration and long-lasting volume. Lips appear fuller without the sting in traditional lip plumpers. Available in an extraordinary range of shades and finishes, from ethereal shimmer to supernatural lacquer.
- Silky, cushiony lip gloss formula without the sticky feel
- Infused with powerful active ingredients, Volulip TM and hyaluronic acid, that deliver intense moisture to amplify lips’ natural shape—resulting in long-lasting volume.
- Contains a nourishing blend of Shea butter and avocado oil for instant hydration
- Custom designed applicator delivers a precise amount of product for the perfect one-swipe application
REVLON KISS PLUMPING LIP CREME
Lips look fuller and smoother in one step with our gloriously creamy and glossy lip plumper.
- Delivers creamy, shiny color in one fabulously plush formula
- Our lip plumper is formulated with Volulip™ technology to help your lips look fuller, instantly
- The formula feels refreshingly cool as you swipe it on!
- Available in 10 glossy shades
- Both have moisturizing formulas that won’t dry out your lips;
- Both have that minty taste and give you that tingly feeling normally associated with most lip plumping products;
- If you pack on too much product with either formula, you will get that gross white line nonsense;
- I didn’t notice much or any plumping with either product, right after application or even hours later;
- Both will not last through a decent meal, although both still leave a bit of shine behind
Read this: Fenty Beauty vs. Physician’s Formula: Bronzer showdown
- Consistency – Hourglass is thicker than Revlon;
- Comfort – Hourglass feels more nourishing than Revlon;
- Tingly feeling – Lasts longer with Hourglass than Revlon;
- Different applicators: Hourglass has flexible doe-foot, while Revlon has hard, slanted plastic tip;
- Packaging – Hourglass has standard hard plastic tube while Revlon has squeezy plastic tube that’s less sturdy;
- Colors / finishes available – Hourglass has 18 colors in 3 finishes (high shine, metallic, shimmer), while Revlon has 10 shades in 1 finish (gloss)
- Ratio of product to price – Hourglass gives you 5.6 grams (in their regular packaging) for $30.00, while Revlon gives you 7.1 grams for less than half that price!
SO WHO WINS THE BATTLE??
Well, clearly no one wins any points when it comes to lip plumping! But when it comes to quality I’m going to have to say the Hourglass wins. I know it’s pricey and they give you much less product than Revlon does, but it feels sooo nourishing and luxurious on the lips. This is really a case where you can feel the difference in quality and price between two products. The Revlon is definitely moisturizing but it’s lighter, so its effects wear away much quicker. I also prefer the Hourglass applicator rather than the Revlon plastic tip, as the latter gets messy pretty quickly.
What did you think of my drugstore vs. luxury lip gloss battle? Would you choose the Hourglass or the Revlon? I’d love to know!
Sometimes the pricey products are the way to go if you can afford them. Both very pretty colors ! 💄
I agree in some cases, and this is definitely one of those examples!
In this case, I would have to choose the Hourglass over the Revlon. I love the color and the packaging. It would fit perfect in my bag!
Good choice! The Revlon one is nice enough, but it’s absolutely nothing special in my eyes. The Hourglass one is so lovely if you’re looking to splurge on a gloss in the near future!
I’m always so intrigued when comparing drugstore vs luxury because you never know which way it will go. It can sometimes be the luxury product that is better and sometimes it’s the drugstore version. One of the reason I like dupes to begin with since I cannot afford high end/luxury products all the time lol.
Great review doll!
Thanks girl! I love finding comparable stuff at the drugstore a lot, but I feel this was definitely a case where the extra money bought better quality. That actually hasn’t happened to me in a while.
There really are no drugstore lippies that work for me. I usually hate how the smell & feel! Pricier lip products are so worth it! Great review!
Thanks girls! I actually like a decent amount of drugstore lip products but they’re usually bullet lipsticks or liquid lips. The Revlon lip gloss isn’t bad per se, but it’s just totally forgettable. Doesn’t stand out from the crowd at all.